Delamar B. Hair, 1899

Married Zelma Dagmar Johnson on 19 Aug 1925
Provo, Utah, Utah, USA

From FamilySearch:

Contributed By Allen Hair · 2013-08-13 23:07:29 GMT+0000 (UTC) · 0 Comments

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF DELAMAR B. HAIR, 649 north 100 West – SPANISH FORK. UTAH COUNTY, UTAH I was born at Midway, Wasatch County, Utah in a two room house made of pot-rock, one block North and one-half block West of the center of town on the 30th day of January, 1899—the first of eight children, three boys and five girls. My father, Benjamin Hair was born 16th of June, 1873 in Aryshire, Parish of Galston, Scotland and came to America with his parents and eight other children (two babies who had died earlier were buried in Scotland) in the year 1878 as converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As a young man, he worked on his father’s small farm and in the mines in the region to the North of Midway. At the age of twenty-four years, he married Ann Eliza Van Wagoner who became my mother. She was born February 24, 1877, in Midway, Wasatch County, Utah. They were blessed with seven other children other than myself in the following order: Hannah Margarette—born 14 December 1900; Eliza Donetta—born 16 August 1903; Mary Gladys—born 9 November, 1905; Flora Priscilla—born 24 September 1907; and died 16 November, 1909 from peritonitis; William Warburton—born 5 May, 1909; Rulon Dean—born 26 July, 1912; and Luella Belle—born 12 August 1915 all in Midway, Wasatch County, Utah. Both my parents became members of the Church in their youth—father when twenty years old and Mother when eight years old, and remained faithful all their lives. Winters were very cold with lots of snow. We burned mostly wood in the stoves. Father had been away doing assessment work in the …… One Saturday night he came home later, so he was sleeping later Sunday Morning. A knock on the window awakened him. A neighbor boy (Murr…) said “Ben, you better get up—the snow is deep and the wind blew the roof off your stable and put it on your buggy and straw stack. Your cows and horses are covered with snow and the roof is off your chicken coop and the chickens are out in the snow. This boy had walked right over the fence, the snow was so deep. When we shoveled paths, we could hardly see over the snow. The wind had shifted Grandfather’s barn 2 or 3 feet off the foundation. The privy was quite a ways from the house so it was quite miserable to go out to it. Sears catalogs were used for toilet paper. Milk was cheap. I took care of a cow we kept in Grandfather’s stable. She gave a lot of milk. I sold some of it: 20 qts for $1.00 and delivered some of it. We had a shanty built on the North side of the 2 room rock house. We had to shovel the snow off the roof of the shanty. Then we could sleigh ride off onto the ground. We had January thaws. The streets would have water and ice until gum boots were necessary to get around. Sometimes Father would have to take us to school on horse back. Coasting was lots of fun. Bob sleighs were a means of travel. When the Deer Creek Reservoir came, the climate was not so cold in winter. I was taught from infancy to pray and to love the gospel. I attended Sunday School, Primary, and Religion Class, then later Mutual Improvement Association. When six years old I did not start to school. But waited until seven. On the day of my eighth birthday, 30 January, 1907,1 was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- Day Saints. That was a day I shall not forget. It was very cold and I was taken by the bob sleigh with horses to a small public bath house where I was baptized by my Father. Benjamin Hair and was confirmed by Benjamin M. Smith of 3 February, 1907. In grade school my grades were always above average although I didn’t like school very well. I disliked to have school start in the fall and was glad to have school closed in the spring. I was fortunate to have good teachers. At the age of twelve years I was ordained a deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood and was set apart as President of the Quorum. I always enjoyed doing my work in this capacity. Until I was ten years of age I was the only boy in the family with four sisters, so that I was naturally inclined to be rather quiet and refined. I worked with my father on the small farm about one-fourth miles south of town and with my uncles and cousins on farms operated by Van Wagoner Brothers. I loved to fish and hunt which was usually done afer taking the cows to pasture or previous to bringing them home. I learned to love farm life and the out-of-doors. Besides running a small farm of his own, my father worked at odd jobs for my mother’s brothers, such as hauling meat and provisions to some of the mining camps. I was very fond of going with him on these trips, but it was necessary to stay home and look after chores most of the time when father was away. I was fond of most games that boys liked, but rather declined being with “the crowd”. Some of the boys in town did not live up to the standards that my mother and father had taught me were right, so rather than not be in the best of company, I spent much of my time alone or at home. At the age of sixteen years I graduated from the Midway District School, and in the fall of 1915 started to high school in Heber City, Utah, to which I rode the distance of three miles. Through my study of music and practice, I was able to play the comet in the Wasatch High school orchestra. In the year of 1916, we moved to Provo, Utah in order to take advantage of better schools without traveling so far from home, and for the sake of mother’s health being that she seemed better in the lower climate. I spent my second year of high school at the Provo High School and passed off my courses with good marks. We lived in the Second Ward at 610 West first South for a while. Father bought a home at 688 North 2nd East and later another place at 866 North first East where we lived when mother died in 1919. The following summer after moving to Provo, I went back to Midway, and with the help of sister Mamie during the harvest time. I ran father’s farm. I surely thought I was a man then for I had everything in charge and tried to do all the work without hiring any help. After the thrashing was done, hay in the barn, and the animals back to Provo, I went back to Provo in time to start a winter course at the Brigham Young University. I enjoyed my school work very much and decided to work and earn enough money to go the next year. That summer, until the 24th of July, was spent working on a farm in Orem, Utah for Sam Cordner who peddled fruit to towns north through Provo Canyon. Orem City was improving and extending their culinary water system, so I worked digging trenches for awhile, after which I obtained a job in Provo Canyon, grading and cleaning up after the construction of a flume for irrigation water, until school started again. Before leaving Midway First Ward, I was ordained to the office of Teacher on 11 January, 1915, by Henry T. Coleman. I was ordained a Priest 26th of February, 1917 by Lars L. Nelson, Bishop of Provo Second Ward. I was ordained an Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood 20th of February, 1921 by George E. Barton of Manavu Ward, Provo, Utah. At the time of this writing I am secretary of the Quorum, an officer of the Sunday School, Second Counselor in the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association and a Ward Teacher. In the spring of 1919, I graduated from the Academic Department of the High School at B.Y.U. On March 14, of the same year, my dearest and best friend, my Mother died after a short illness, leaving my Father with a family of seven. This was a hard blow in my life, for although my Father is one of the best men that ever lived, I do not feel as free to talk and discuss life and problems with him as I did with Mother. I continued to school the next year being a Freshman in college. I have worked hard each summer earning money to go to school and have worked before and after school at such jobs as firing coal furnaces, cleaning school yards, working on new buildings, etc. This I did when hourly pay was fifteen to twenty cents. I am now in third year college. The foregoing sketch of my life was written in the year 1922 with the exception of some few details which were added. The date now is 28 May, 1943 when I endeavor to take up the sketch again. Some things that were of major interest at the time of happening may not seem so important now. I finished out the school year with 108 hours of college credit. Then I leased Father’s farm of 25 acres plus 5 acres pasture for the season. There were several cows to milk, one of which was very good. I bought it with my own money, but it choked to death on an apple. There was plenty of hard work to do by hand and with equipment drawn by horses. Except for doing chores and irrigating when a turn came on Sunday, I never worked on the Sabbath.___ _____ ____________— Near the first of September of 1922, when it was nearing harvest time, a school principal, Frank Goold by name, came to see me. He wanted me to go to Moore, Idaho and teach school. I didn’t think I could because of the harvesting I had to do. But after talking it over with father, it was decided that I could go and the he with Burton and Rulon would manage somehow. This meant a lot of work of a different kind on my part. I had to pass examinations in the entire course of study and in Idaho State law concerning schools. Mr. Goold was very kind to me and after studying for some time, I was given the exams in Arco, Idaho and passed them all with good marks. This gave me a second class certificate to teach elementary grades in Utah until 30 June, 1924 and a third grade certificate to teach in Butte Count, Idaho until 1 September 1923. I taught students of the 7th and 8th grades, having some forty to fifty boys and girls in the same room. It required much study and preparation on my part, but as I had nothing else to do except teach a Sunday school class, I had plenty of time for study at first. Later I joined an orchestra sponsored by the Mutual Improvement Association and spent some time practicing and playing for programs and dances. January 1, 1925, while home for the holidays, I met the girl who became my wife. It was at a dance in Spanish Fork. Our courtship was sweet and short and we were bound in holy wedlock in the Salt Lake Temple 19th of August 1925. the same year of my formal graduation from Brigham Young University. Over the years, they have had seven children: Ila Jean, Allen, Earl, Garth, Paul, Roy and Eldon. Both Zelma and Dad had many opportunities over the years to be of service to the church. Several years after Zelma passed away. Dad met and married Inez Brough and spent many years with her involved in church service and family activities. Some time after Inez passed away. Dad met lola Thruston who was a divorcee and married her, but on Nov. 2, 1985 she passed away. They both enjoy the outdoors and enjoyed their camper. But because dad was so lonely, he met Sarah Baker June 22, 1986 at the Eldred senior center and married her by the Justice of Peace. They both enjoyed dancing together.

From the Brigham Young Academy High School website, in the Alumni section:

Hair, Delmar B. [Delamar] 
American Fork, Utah:

Delmar & Zelma /Inez Hair
Class of 1919. “Delamar” Hair. He graduated from BYH in College Hall on Wednesday, May 28, 1919. Source 1: 1919 Graduation Program. ~ ~ ~ ~ Second source: (Delamar Hair) 1919 BYU Banyan yearbook, BYH section, pages 61-74. ~ ~ ~ ~ Class of 1919. Delamar B. Hair. He received a BYH Academic Diploma in 1919. Source: Annual Report, B.Y. University, Book 10, page 154. ~ ~ ~ ~ Collegiate Grad of BYU, Class of 1925. Delamar B. Hair. He received a BS Degree in Agronomy in 1925. Source: Annual Record, B.Y. University, Book 10, page 154. ~ ~ ~ ~ Delmar B. Hair, son of Ann Eliza Van Wagoner and Benjamin Hair, was born 30 January 1897 in Midway, Utah. His grade schools were Midway, Heber and Provo. He attended B.Y. High School where he graduated in 1919, and then graduated from Brigham Young University. He played trumpet in the band. He made the Cross Country Run. He graduated with a B.S. degree in science [Agronomy]. Delmar married Zelma Dagmar Johnson 19 August 1925 in the Salt Lake Temple. They reared six sons and one daughter. They lived in Provo, Hiawatha, Mapleton, Lindon, Panquitch, Salem and American Fork, Utah. He was City Recorder in Salem. His occupations have been teacher, farmer, salesman and custodian. His relaxation has been bicycle and horseback riding, reading, landscaping, fishing and music especially choir and conducting. He was baptized into the LDS Church on January 30, 1907. He filled three Stake missions, served in the Quorum and auxiliary organizations, and his wife Zelma was president of Relief Society for five years. Eldon, their youngest son, completed a church mission in the Gulf States. Zelma passed away 20 February 1965. Delmar married Inez Trevort Brough on September 3, 1966.Delmar B Hair funeral program and obituary

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *