Leonard Leroy Hathaway, 1877

Essential Information

Born: 23 Sep 1877, Millville, Cache, Utah, USA

Married: 29 Sep 1920, Una Florizell Jensen, Sat Lake City, Utah, USA

Died: 20 Dec 1960, Union, SL, Utah, USA

Temple Ordinances Performed:

Temple Ordinances Needed:

Father: Elisha Brown Hathaway

Mother: Deborah Jane Clifford

Children: , Vandis Jensen Hathaway

Life History of Leonard LeRoy Hathaway

Short stories recorded from personal writings

As a boy about nine years old, on the way going with my parents, brothers and sisters, we traveled to Utah with a team and wagon which was covered with bows and canvas. The wagon road ran side-by-side with the railroad. My brother and some other kids would jump out of the wagon as we traveled without stopping the team. Even though I was smaller then, they figured I could do it too. In doing so once, I slipped and fell in such a way that one of the wagon wheels ran over my ankle, and that spoiled my part of the fun.

After a brief stay at Logan, Utah, we returned to Idaho. On the way back home on one cold night, we made our camp and brother and I and some other kids slept on the ground. To make it warmer for us, my father scooped the fire away and made our bed on the place where the fire had been. To be sure we slept warm enough.

We were still 75 or 80 miles from home. We lived at a town called Teton, Idaho and somehow or other along the way, I picked up a wood tick which fastened itself on the back of my head and a large bump. I called my mother and she found and removed a big wood tick.
Teton city at that time, about 1885, had only five or six houses as I remember. People in that part of the country took good care of their horses because of the horse-thieves who infested the upper snake river valley.
We boys, at the ages of 10 and 15 years, took part in watching the work horses while they were grazing near the town. There was a cold wind blowing so we made a fire behind some large sage brush that grew in spots all over the country.

I was the smaller of the three; on one of my turns around the horses I saw something under the bush that was large and hairy, I decided it was a large rabbit. I crept up on it quietly and grabbed it by one of it’s hind feet and then the fun started. It squealed and kicked and squealed some more. I did well in hanging on to it until my older brother arrived. He knew just what to do. He just took it by the ears and with the back of his hand knocked it out. The men folds nick-named me “Sly.”
A short time later, I went with my father where he was mowing some hay. He asked me if I would like ot try my hand at fishing. I said, “I would.” He had a line and hook in his pocket and took his pocket knife and cut a green willow and made a fishing pole for me. I then caught a nice big grasshopper for bait. Before my father made a round mowing around the hay patch, I had a whale of a trout upon which I was sitting to try to keep him safe from getting away. When my father saw what I had done he unhitched the horses from the mowing machine and hitched them to the wagon. He took me and the fish home. My mother took a look at it and invited the neighbors in. I was seated at the head of the table, and we all had a feast of fish. I was then about ten-years-old.

As a boy about 14 or 15 years of age, we lived at Twin Groves, Idaho. The choke cherries were ripe on the lower of the two islands. Aunt Adelade Richards and Aunt Sarah Woodfield came along past our place on their way to pick choke cherries. They were going to ford the river to the island. My sister Laraney and my cousin Salina wanted to go along but were not allowed to go. I had just returned home and they told me about it and they were mad. I told them to get ready and walk down and I’d go get my saddle horse and take them across to the Island.
Soon after we got there the other were ready to leave. Leonard LeRoy HathawayThey had their buckets all full of choke cherries. With the kids loaded in the wagon, they started out. They got in the deepest place in the river and one of the horses balked and refused to go any further. They whipped him as best they could and finally wanted me to come in with my horse and carry the kids to the shore. I wanted to get even for not letting our girls go with them so I refused to help. I guess I would have helped them after awhile, but Aunt Sarah Woodfield got mad and called me a lot of names and swore a little too. She finally jumped out of the wagon into the river. The water was warm and not swift and came well up around the upper part of her waist. She had on one of those long wide dresses like they used to wear. In the water it spread out on the surface covering an area of about six or seven feet. After calling me some names, she took each kid to the shore one at a time there being a total of five or six of them. After she got all of them out, the balky old horse decided to go and away they went… I guess Aunt Salina is the only one who remembers this experience besides myself.

(computer transcribed—check for errors: http://hathawaymix.org/megalopolis/index.php/Life_History_of_Leonard_Leroy_Hathaway)
In the year 1895, my father and mother got what might be called Oregon fever. They sold everything sellable. They ripped up two teams and wagons and started for Oregon. Our family consisted of my father and mother, you Lisha Brown Hathaway and Debra Jane Clifford, my oldest brother and you Lyssa, myself, and brothers and sisters, John, Harriet, Dora, Chad and Dilbert.

On the way, I took a job with the sheep outfit. They were to pay me more money than I had ever earned before. I followed the family later on horseback.

Arriving at Somerville Oregon, we found ourselves surrounded by some of the Baptist Faith and we’re very friendly with our family. We found ourselves surrounded by some of the nicest people and also others not so nice. Our nearest neighbors were of the Baptist faith

Jim, the oldest of their boys and myself ran together once in a while. One night we went to a dance at Summerville, the nearest town. We stopped at the barber shop for a shave and a haircut. On the table was a pair of boxing gloves. After we were all cleaned up Jim suggested we put on the gloves. He said he wanted to practice so he could box with my cousin who is a real boxer.

I said “no. I know nothing of boxing.”

“Oh,” he said, “I won’t hit hard, I just want a little practice.” He was 50 pounds heavier and a lot taller than I and besides I knew nothing about how to box.

Well, we put them on anyway and he lambasted me something awful. I could hardly see him part of the time. I soon got tired of being beaten up just for fun “in fun bout” and I guess I got a little mad. I worked my way up to him as close as I could under the circumstances and I passed him a terrific uppercut. I started the blow commencing at his knees and aiming at his chin but instead contacted his run right elbow. That was the end of the bout. His toes refuse to come down to the floor and he floated through the air with his big arms and all as he was staggering backwards until you reach the plate glass window and there you, hold of the window sill avoiding going out onto the sidewalk. So far as I know, my friend Jim never put the gloves on with my cousin George Hill who really knew how to box.

While in the north end of the grand Rhonde Valley, some LDS missionaries came to our harm home and we as a family we’re glad to see them, for a couple of years, 4 to 6 of them made our home there’s also. My father and my brothers and myself found work and managed to make a home for them.

I traded horses with the neighbors NIEs and traded dogs with a man by the name of stock. He had a herd of cattle and a bulldog. I had a cattle dog and every dog in the country would lick my dog so I traded him for the bulldog. Before then I went to town on horseback, my dog would follow along behind me, and for the first time the bulldog followed me to town I heard a racket behind me. I looked around and there was my poor old bulldog, down and about 10 or 15 dogs on top of him. Soon however I heard one of them started start howling. They all began running away until the last one left. My bulldog had him by 1 foot and held him until I persuaded him to release him. After that I was never molested again.

Soon after that the family moved out to a place called Imbler Oregon. I got a job over East near a town called Elgin. I worked on a farm for a man named Billy Hyndman. He had a splendid dry farm. One evening he was out near the fruit trees burning trimmings from the old from the orchard trees. I joined him and in our conversation he became nervous and wife. He then said, “Leonard, are you a Mormon?”

I said, “yes sir, and Mr. Hyndman, if that makes any difference to you, I would be glad to go somewhere else. You”

He said “no, no! Leonard parentheses (they all called me Leonard), I want you to stay. In about six months I asked for my time and Mr. Hyndman actually cried tears as I left.

Soon after that, I rigged up a Saddlehorse in the packhorse after having heard that one of my mothers brothers and his family had gone to Canada. In my mother’s absence, I persuaded my father to let me go to Canada too. I said, “maybe we will all like it too?”

He replied, “well, Len, you’ll meet all kinds of men and all kinds of women.”

One fine morning with my Saddlehorse and my packhorse, I left for Canada. I had a fine saddle and outfitted with a pair of dog hide chaps, spurs, federal, Fryingpan, and a shotgun. I knew nothing about large saddles whatever. I stopped at my uncles place about 20 miles E. Of My Way on my way. While there, one of my cousins taught me how to throw a single diamond hitch on my packhorse.

The first day I made about 25 miles in a northeast direction. I stayed at a stage station, a place where the mail carriers stay on their trip from Elgin Oregon to Lewiston, Idaho. It was a heavy wooded place right on top of the blue Mountains and not a house for 25 miles. The cabin was locked up but the barn wasn’t. I looked at the room which was a nice clean place. There was room of considerable size, plenty of room for the horses and a place to sleep and plenty of space for the horses.

From my bed, picked up the old shotgun, hope the barrel through a crack between the logs of the barn and a dozen logs of the barn and I pulled the trigger. I only fired that one shot but the blast of it Echota dozen times down the mountain. I heard no more of the wild animals – whatever they were – wolves, mountain lions, wildcats, or whatnots. Judging from the racket they made called, there must’ve been 100 of them. I went to sleep and enjoy the nights rest to the limit.

Next morning, I had my breakfast, saddled up my horse and preceded on my way. I reached Lewiston Idaho that night having cross the Smoky River by ferryboat. I spent the night at Lewiston and crossed the Clearwater the next day. The second day I reached Spokane Washington. Expo came, I was asked if I was going to put my horses in the races. I told them I was not. I realized that I had a fast horse. I started north heading for British Columbia. In about two days ride I came to a settlement. I think it was called Simonville. I began to run a little short of funds, so I took the job on AHey Ranch. After a week or so I started north again for Bossburg on the Columbia River. I stopped by a creek, unsettled my horse and have lunch. While eating a man came from house just across the road and told me about his race horse. He wanted to know if I would write him. He said his wife’s brother had tried him and had run away with him. I said, “I might try after I have finished my lunch.” I then walked over with him. He brought out a fine looking horse called “soapsuds.” He had nothing to put around my knees to make it easier to keep my balance I jumped on his horses back and he started jumping straight in the air. After a few jumps and I was about ready to fall off, he stopped barking. I jumped off and let him over to my campground. I put my saddle and bridle on him and then let him back in front of his house. He held him while I got on. When he let loose he went straight in the air and over the man’s head. The horse ran in but trying to throw me. We took off through timber, brush, rocks, and ditches. When he found out he couldn’t throw me I rode him calmly back to his front gate.

On 5 July 1897, I rode soapsuds in the races at Bosburg on the Columbard Columbia River. I took second price in the race. I should have had first place but owing to the fact that a ball game wasin process and they hadn’t cleared the track in time for the first race to come through. They had a sack of sawdust right in the middle of the race track and close to the outcome.

The week before the races, Mr.’s Skelton, the man who owned soapsuds, had taken a horse to break for a blacksmith who ran a shop at Bosburg. We took the horseback to the blacksmith and Mr. Skelton and I both told him it was too wild to do anything with.

“Oh!” Said the blacksmith, “it is perfectly gentle and it that he jumped on his back as he passed me by.

I was standing with a rope in my hand that I had just taken off when he put his halter on his horse. As he passed me by I just gave my rope a little flip and he hit his horse on the heels and the horse bucked him off. He said he was going to lick me but he didn’t.

The next day or two, Mr. Skelton told me that he had heard that again of course leaves was in that part of the country. There was a reward offered if anyone could locate them. He said he knew about where they might be. It was east ofhis place up on top of a heavily wooded mountain several miles from his home. I consented to go with him. We took my two horses, Buck and Shorty. Buck was my Saddlehorse and short short he was my packhorse. I did not know about them so I let him ride by and I rode Shorty. In about an hour we reached a hideout supposedly and it was a perfect set up. A corral was made by felling large trees one Overwood on top of each other enclosing in a couple of acres of ground. I cabin was built inside this enclosure, really well constructed layout. As we rode up to it from the west side, we stopped our horses right close-up. We made no noise and just looked it over. Some grass was growing close to the enclosure. Period the horse Mr. Skelton was writing put his head down to eat some of it. Mr. Skelton tightened the bridal rains and even though the logs were a good 6 feet high, but hopped over them like a cat. Mr. Skelton fell off on the inside and I was left on the outside. He scrambled out coughing violently and when he got his wind, said “how are you going to get him out of there?”

I said, “if he could jump in there he Octa be able to jump out.” I got up on the log, reached over and took hold of the bridal rains and he jumped out just like that… It was then that I first knew he was a trained jumper. He was a splendid Saddlehorse. He had a running walk and was able to Nekoranik. Just let my packhorse get his halter rope hundred bucks tail, then you must pain on them or else.

When I reached Canada, I still had enough money to buy a couple more horses. I soon got a job on a Hayridge. On one occasion a storm came up and we were unable to work in the hayfields. One of the boys, A red-faced English boy lost his money out of his pocket while riding his horse. Later I found it. When I gave it back to him he had given up the idea of ever finding it so he wanted me to keep it. I refused to keep it so one day he wanted me to go partners in the ranching business with CE furnishing all the money and go 50-50. I wasn’t settled down yet and lost a fortune by refusing.

On another occasion, while riding along on a Haywagon, a boy by the name of Bill Tyler and I saw a coyote standing by the side of the road. As we passed by, I took the old shotgun and Bill said, “it’s no use, we tried that last shell a dozen times on ducks.”

I just level down and saying it went. The coyote rolled many times then jumped up and in a few minutes was out of sight

On another occasion while riding along the road and had been to Cardston Canada, I overtook an Indian boy about my age who was leading a bony horse and also writing one. He had a very good saddle and a good Bilbil Boni pours. We rode along for half a mile when he said, “how you spat?”

I said, “I trade my horse for your horse and saddle.”

We rode along for another half-mile more and he said, quote me Nutswamp here.”

I said, “come out to the ranch and Wheelshop there.”

We had to go down to the barn alone. I got off my horse and took my saddle and bridle of my horse. I took his horse and saddled into the barn. He led his other Boni horse in my newly traded fat whores out to the main road. He jumped on the fat horse like a cat Bennion three bucks landed on his back on the ground. He tried it twice more with the same results. Instead of coming back to trade back, which I would have willingly done, he took off with his horse and I never saw him again after that.

I then left Canada andwent back to Oregon. One day while it Baker city, a circus had just come to town. The circus hands went on strike and along the street scratch that the circus hands went on strike and stayed there about a week. The animals were all unloaded and tied up all along the street. I hitched up one of my workhorses, a large yet gentle horse, to a two wheeled cart. I took my wife, Marie, to see the animals. Old John was the horses name. He prodded along very much unconcerned and as we passed by several different kinds of animals, elephants, camels, donkeys, tigers, wildcats, monkeys, and at the last there were bears. There were brown, black, cinnamon and grizzly bears. Just as we started to pass where the justice is we started to pass the grizzly Alittle came up from the direction of the bears. Old John became excited and instead of making a break to run, simply stood up on his hind feet with his body straight up in the year. The cart behind the cart being a two wheel affair, tipped over backwards and the seat hit the ground and my wife and I both landed on our backs in the dusty road. We jumped to our feed an old John walk unease hindlegs for a short distance and then came down on all fours in the laugh was on. Soon after this we left Oregon and went to Idaho.

After arriving at Chester, Idaho, I took a job for the winter at shotgun Valley and there we spent the entire winter. And old female dog at the fish hatchery had a litter of pups and I got permission to take one for myself. He grew touring enormous size and could with any dog in the county. One of my cousins had a bulldog and I had my Newfoundland stag hound cross. My cousin said, “land, don’t you think we ought to time my bulldog up? (He was growling at my dog),

“He might hurt your dog, I’m afraid.”

At that instant his bulldog grabbed my dog by one front foot which was a foul pole. Seldom could any dog be expected to break it my dog look down at the bulldog for an instant and then calmly took the bulldog by the head with his monstrous teeth the bulldog quickly loosened his hold and then the fight was over.

My cousin said, “well I’ll be gosh dang.”

Later he had a fight with the bear and he one back. Not being a cattle dog he would simply Polder Eayrestown. Later you nearly drowned a large bore pig in the canal. We called him booster, our big dog.

I later got a foxhound. One day a rabbit went running past my house and soon a dog came running past my house chasing the rabbit and two other dogs one behind the other. My foxhound,, decided to join in the Chase. He passed the last dog and then the second and then the first and soon hit past the rabbit and finally came back home. I was sure then that he had plenty of speed.

(Additional biographical short stories hand written in the first person about July 18, 1957 by Leonard L Hathaway read written by son, Leonard J Hathaway October 23, 1977)

Boyhood days in North Ogden

I was born in Millville Utah, September 23, 1877. I remember the families of Pitkins, Jessups, and Campbell’s. We later moved to North Ogden. I went to school at the age of five. After being able to read a little in my older brothers book, I felt I did not like it being so small.

My mother sent my sister Lorraine and me to the store with paper rugs to exchange for groceries. I purchased a paper Pistol instead. I had lots of fun until my mother sent me back to the store to get the groceries. It was then I had to pay for the cats I had used.

One day my mother left my brother Lisch (Elisha), in the house while she went to the pasture for our cow. After she had been gone longer than we wanted her to be, Lish got excited and found a window with one of the pains missing and crawled out. When mother and he returned there I was attempting to drive a nail in one of the chairs.

In Idaho about 1885, I had a wonderful time. Fishing was the main sport. Young as I was I became a real fisherman. I think I caught one of the largest trout in that part of the country, (at least I thought so). It made a meal for four families.

We’ve lived in a town called Teton. One day an Indian chieftain and his two wives and five or six children came to our town. We invited them to our house for dinner. The dinner was prepared for their family only. We kids were parked in the bedroom, it being a two room house we lived in. The middle door was off it’s hinges and was just standing up leaning. The chieftain was seated near the door. Well, we kids, kid like Pete around the sides of the door and knock the door down on top of the old Chiefs head. He let out a genuine war hoop and scared the stuffing out of all of us.

Later to Indian ladies came to our house with berries to trade for bread. Mothers sisters were there and suggested that she should wash the berries before cooking them. One Indian lady replied, “maybe they ought to wash the bread also.”

My father later moved further north to the fall river country now called Chester, Fremont County, Idaho. My brother Elisha and I got a job down at Rexburg eight a Brickyard. I was three years younger than me, so my first part of the work was to look after the horses used at the Brickyard. One morning, the horses had come up missing and I was asked to go find them. I crossed the Teton River and two or 3 miles down I came to afarmhouse where I saw a young woman hanging out clothes. Evidently it was washday and also dinnertime and from all appearances it was haying time. Thinking that the men folks would be eating dinner, I passed the girl hanging up clothes and went around to the back of the house. The door was open so I walked up. Instead of being the kitchen, it was one of the bedrooms. They’re on the bed not 10 feet from me was a beautiful girl about 16 years old with only a short shirt on. To this day I don’t know who was the most frightened. She did a lively spiral by throwing both hind feet in the air and landed between me and the bed she had been lying on; hit the floor and in one more jump was gone and I to was also gone.

It was then about 1890, and I got a job with the man by the name of Bill Marler. I work for about four or five months for a horse and saddle. The horse was worth about $10 in the saddle about the same amount. My job was one I liked very much – herding cattle.

Mr. Marler also had another boy by the name of Eric Johnson. He borrowed his sisters mayor and his grandpa’s saddle. On our first day out we reached Sandcreek and a lovely little valley. The creek was about 8 feet wide winding in and out through the valley between the desert on one side and the mountains on the other.

While waiting for the boss with the chuckwagon, like kids do, we got to seeing who’s horse could jump the creek the best. My horseless just an old plug, and not the one I was to get for my pay at that. Well, we were doing fine for a while but Eric tried a wider place and his horses saddle turned under its belly. Eric landed on his back in the creek and his horse took off through the valley. The saddle was hanging under her belly when she proceeded to kick to pieces. Which she proceeded to. By that time, Eric managed to get out of the creek which was quite shallow. I took off after his horse, rounding it up, and then we proceeded to gather up the pieces which we found most of.

The chuckwagon arrived, we rounded up the cattle, and we took off up over the mountain. It was sometime after dark when we arrived at the camping place where there was water.

In the morning we found that owing to darkness of the night before and the heavily wooded country, we had lost many of the Cavs and cows which we were now able to locate.

To me it was a wonderful trip with a few mosquitoes and horseflies, ducks and geese fish and fish in great abundance.

We made our first permanent camp in the east end of shotgun Valley, a beautiful valley with tree covered mountains all around and only two houses in the whole valley. In just a few days Eric was just discharged and I was left in charge of the entire herd of cattle. The herd had about 40 or 50 head of cows and calfs in it. It was a wonderful trip. I had no use for money as there wasn’t a store in 40 miles of me. All I needed was a fishing call and some grasshoppers for bait, and boy! Oh boy! We’re those Mountain Trout good.

Mr. Marley only showed up about once a week. About 10 miles up the valley lived a man whose wife had died. He had three sons and two daughters. One fine day I decided to take a trip up there and pay them a visit. I later learned that their name was Bishop. When about a mile from their house, I saw a dog coming toward me. Soon came another in still another until all told I counted 18 dogs, all were foxhounds in big ones too. I didn’t have my gun with me or anything to fight with, only Mycorte whip. When all the dogs arrived they just ran around and around my horse and barked and yelled and howled but all in fun. They all seemed glad to have me pay them a visit and so it was with Mr. Bishop and his family.

Along about 10 June, Mr. Marler made a great made a deal with the man, Sam Taylor, a beaver Canyon about 41 miles west of Shendene Valley. My heard was joined to that of Mr. Taylor, a young man name of Levi Wheeler and Fred Taylor. About June 20, 1885, I was transferred to AHey ranch at force island. They’re a Mr. lime Taylor had charge. About September 1 I was stated with my horse and saddle. My horse was “white cloud.” He was pure white. I figured he was one of the best horses I had ever seen. I’ve been around home, as far as I know, was the only boy in the country who owned his own horse and saddle.

The next year my father took a job with the Mr. Sharp over at Sandcreek about 25 miles north of St. Anthony Idaho. One of the things my father had to do was gather up 30 or 40 milkhouse which were taken to Sand Creek Ranch. We started the heard across the strip of desert sand hills. Father was to walk and I just boy to help wrangle the cows along. We had preceded about a mile or two over the Sandy Road. The sun was getting hot and father looked like he had over estimated his ability to walk all the way, so I prevailed on him to take my horse and let me change. Will that work for a while, but as I said before the sun was getting hotter all the time. The cows were lagging still plodding along. I walked up alongside of a good old gentle cow, put my hand above her back and before she knew it, I was straddle her back. Right then and there the problem was solved, father rode the horses with the saddle and I rode the cow. The bunch we delivered that day, added to the old ones already on the ranch made about 100 head and my job was to be heard boy,

Those cows were Henri Criders to heard at first. They what’s split up Chuar three in a bunch and I was kept very busy rounding them up. We had three bowls with the bunch. One was of enormous size, the other two were much smaller. I had a good bullfight every day and sometimes more. The big bowl always came out the winner until the smaller bowls got to doubling up on him. This was the only way they could hold their own with him.

I had two dogs, one just a pop and the other a great big fellow. He would get the cows by the tail end in a few days the cows tails would drop off. Mr. Sharp didn’t mind if their tails did drop off. He figured if they behave themselves we wouldn’t have to punish them.

Leonard and Una in in their orchard in Union, Idaho (east side of the valley), 1920

Sr. Sharp got to tying the big dog (balance) up when I went out in the morning with the herd, so to get even with her, I would take the heard Outaways then slip back and steal the dog away. One day we ran into a bunch of skunks in the meadow. Holddowns proceeded to or at least attempted to eat one of them up. He of course changed his mind when the skunks counterattack and ran towards the house, through the house and into the cheese room (smell end-all). Sister Sharp immediately blamed me for it so I had to stay away from her for a while. They picked on me a lot. The milking was all done by hand and any Calbet Linnette Qik was turned over to me to milk. There were six or seven girls to contend with their…

Related July 24, 1957
I am reminded that on a certain 24th of July, I woke that morning in my room on North Main St., Salt Lake City. I dressed and had breakfast. It was rather late. I walked around a while and saw many people going down toward the Salt Lake depot. I train was waiting and people were getting a board. I thought why not, so I to climb Don arriving at “salt air.” (The great Salt Lake resort). At first I saw no one that I knew. Finally I spotted a group of girls that some of them I had not met before. They were from a town called union.Among the nicest of which I took to the temple and she became my wife, (Una Florizell Jensen). Leonard Leroy Hathaway CensusWe now have spent many years of joy and happiness and I hope and pray that we shall spend many more yet and in the next world will live together forever, along with our children and our children’s children.

Leonard L Hathaway



page 23_3 LL Eleanor _amp_ Una page 16_5 maybe Eleanor MarieWhen Leonard Leroy married, his wife couldn’t have a child, so they adopted a girl, Eleanor Marie.
When his wife died, he met Una. He was 40, and she was in her twenties. A couple years later they started having children of their own. (from an interview with Van Hathaway.)

After her mother died, Eleanor Marie survived for another year, and then died of an illness.

Eleanor loved rodeo.

page 16_6 eleanor marie on horse

Van Hathaway (son) said:

“The family had migrated to Idaho, to a little town called Chester, between Idaho Falls and Yellowstone Park. That’s where Leonard lived, and where his first wife died (they never had any children), and that’s where he met my mother. He was about 18 years older than she was. She was still in her early twenties when they were married.”

“Dad was a salesman in Blackfoot, and sold roofing and siding, things like that, and just after we were married, he had a job for me up there, so we moved to Blackfoot. We were there about a year and a half.”

Post-Register Newspaper-Idaho Falls

This article was printed in the Idaho Falls newspaper, Post-Register, on 11 June 1954.

Death Certificate:

Leonard Leroy Hathaway Death Certificate









page 23_3 LL Eleanor _amp_ Una page 39_3 Una_ Sarah Jensen_  LL _amp_ Donna page 35_3 Unknown _amp_ LL Hath page 33_1 LL Hathaway debonair page 34_7 LL Hathaway _amp_ car page 33_8 LL Hath and maybe the Jensens page 31_3 Una _amp_ Leonard at maybe yellowstone page 23_3 LL Eleanor _amp_ Una page 14_4  LL Hath hunting page 14_5 Cliff _amp_ LL Hath page 15_4 church LL _amp_ Elisha closer page 15_4 church LL _amp_ Elisha page 13_7 LL hauling water page 13_4 LL _ Una_ Baby 7 wks old_ unknown _amp_ Jackson Holde page 13_3 LL Hath _amp_ baby page 13_2 LL Hath in Tetonia page 10_2 LL holding Una _amp_ UJ Ha holding Leonard 1923 page 13_1 Gpa LL Hath p 9 Wedding LL_amp_UJHathawayDec 20_ 1920 p 10_1 Una_amp_LL Hathaway 1920 p45 LL HathawayWith horses

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Leonard Leroy Hathaway, 1877

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *