Livinia Goss, 1807

First wife of Edson Whipple – not a direct ancestor.  She died with their first child crossing the plains.

From Edson Whipple’s Journal:

My wife, Lavinia Goss, that I married on February 6th, 1832, joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in April, 1840.
The next winter after we were married she delivered a stillborn child, a girl, supposed to be about six months developed. In the winter of 1845 she bore me a daughter that we called Maria Blanche.
During our sojourn in Nauvoo, she kept school. Her father died in 1836 in the city of Newfane, Windham County, Vermont, while we lived in Boston.
After we moved to Philadelphia, and had joined the Mormons, we visited our relatives in Vermont and her mother became a believer in the faith of the Mormons, and in the year of 1843 she had prepared and was calculating to start in about two weeks for Nauvoo, but died very suddenly. She was found dead in her bed in the morning.
While I was visiting there I baptized Clarissa, Lavinia’s older sister, and confirmed her and her husband, James Eastman who had been baptized in Boston some two weeks before. They soon after moved to Nauvoo. There he and myself joined lots and we built joining to each other.
A large two-story frame house in the Hatchkeys Purchase a little northeast of the Nauvoo brick yard.
Lavinia was the youngest of her father’s family.

After arriving at the Bluffs we were counseled to fix for the winter. Myself and some twelve or fifteen families fixed ourselves on a small tributary that emptied into Cagg Creek, about twenty miles below Winter Quarters. Here we intended to spend the winter, but we found it to be a very sickly place.
Out of the families that stopped, there were buried fourteen persons. There I buried my entire family–my wife and child (a girl about 22 months old), and Mother, who was 76 years old. I was very sick at the time. I buried my wife and mother. My mother died September 9th; my wife September 13th, and my little girl December 8th (1846). My wife was 36 years old when she died. We found it was better for us to move to some other place. We moved a place on Cagg Creek near the Buelberry Settlement, as it was called.
My little girl died after we moved, but I sent her to be buried with her mother and grandmother. They now lay side-by-side on a ridge that runs up from the creek on the east side some sixty or seventy rods from the creek. The ridge lies between the turnbac? and the pruirence.
While I was living on the little creek, I had a dream and the interpretation in which I was made acquainted that my family was all to be taken from me. When my wife and mother were first taken sick a Sister Jacobs said, “I think they will recover.” I said, “They will all be taken from me.”
I was very sick at the time that my wife and mother died. At that time, there were only two well persons in the camp. All the rest were complaining.
At that time I had built me a small log house and had moved into it the day my mother was taken sick. After they were buried, I was left with my sick child, no one to take care of us. I was so weak that I could not walk alone without holding on to something. I lay one day and a night in this condition. No one came to my assistance. The second day Brother Franklin Stewart came and said it would not do for me to lie in that condition alone. He said he and his family were all unwell but he thought that they might assist us some if we were at his camp tent which was about a quarter mile from me. He proposed that I should be moved and sent John Miles, the only well man in our camp, to fetch my oxen and wagon and took me to his camp where I stayed about ten days.
When I returned to my house thinking I could take care of myself and child. But I was very weak, so much so that the next morning after, I went to the creek. This brought on a relapse and I was sicker than before.

After our removal to another place some 4 miles, on the 8th of December, my little girl died. She was 22 months old. We took her to where her mother and grandmother were buried. And there they lie buried side-by-side in coffins made of split planks from the Basswood trees.
Being driven from our comfortable homes in Nauvoo and the comforts of life by a ruthless mob, they died Martyrs to the cause of Christ and in the resurrection will receive a Martyr’s reward.

Other notes:


Father: Daniel Goss

Mother: Tirsah Prouty

Birth: 7 Jun 1811, Dummerston, Windham, Vermont, USA Find all individuals with events at this location

Gender: Female

Endowed (LDS): 31 Dec 1845, NAUVO

Died 13 Sep 1846 Pony Creek, Pottawattamie, Iowa, USA

Baptized (LDS): 18 Dec 1997, MTIMP Find all individuals with events at this location [6]

Person ID: I27820

Last Modified: 07 Feb 2007

Kimball, Block 1, part of the N/2 of lot 77 (location of Lavinia’s Common School)

Nauvoo Temple Endowment Register, pp 79
Members, LDS, 1830-1848, by Susan Easton Black, Vol 17, p 1006
Record of Baptisms for the Dead, by Black and Black, Vol 3, pp 3774-3776

Miller File #2


Sources: # [S4] Book – Annotated Record of Baptisms for the Dead, Nauvoo, 7 vols., Black, Susan Easton, (Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602), , by Black and Black, Vol 3, pp 3774-3776.

# [S6] LDS – Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:1830-1848, 50 vols., Black, Susan Easton, Compiler, (LDS Church, Salt Lake City, 1990), 1830-1848, by Susan Easton Black, Vol 17, p 1006.

# [S204] LDS – Miller File, Miller, Rowena, File #2.

# [S7] LDS – Nauvoo Temple Endowment Register, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (1845-1846), , pp 79.

# [S28012]

# [S2] Internet Link – International Genealogical Index, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I looked up what a Common School was, and it appears that it was usually a public elementary school.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *